Sunday, April 1, 2012

Quick & Easy Veggie Sushi

I soaked and cooked far too much millet the other day.  Cups upon cups, so much in fact that the expanding grains took the lid off my saucepan.  Oops!  Today, as the sun beat down all around my patio haven, I wanted something fresh, something inspired...something other than the millet pilaf we've been eating for days.  Into the cupboard I reached, hopefully, and out came...Toasted Nori!  Soon summery vegetables were flying out of the refrigerator onto my cutting board and within minutes- perfect summer Sushi!



To make the sushi-style millet, just add about 1 T. toasted sesame oil, 2 T. brown rice vinegar and a teaspoon of honey (optional) for each cup of millet (or any other leftover grain).  Then, slice up some veggies (avocado, cucumber, carrot and red onion are my favorite).  Next, lay out a sheet of nori, cover the bottom 3/4 with your grain, lay out the veggies in a long strip in the center of the sheet, wet the bare top end of the nori wrapper and Roll.  A bamboo mat helps, but is not necessary. 

Practice makes perfect, and these rolls will disappear quick so happy practicing!

No comments:

Post a Comment