Sunday, November 20, 2011

French Lentil Salad

Several years ago, I shared a small flat with a charming middle aged Breton woman in Rennes, France.   She was an incredible cook, having inherited the miraculous French ability to produce four course dinners after getting off work at 6.  Arguably the most important thing I learned from her was just how much crème fraîche I could eat in a day.  We spread it on bread with jam in the morning, on bread with shaved carrots for lunch, on savory galettes with dill and potatoes for dinner, and we ate it straight for dessert.

This French lentil salad is a healthy tribute to the effervescent Yvonne, queen of crème fraîche.  Flavorful lentils, julienned red peppers, red onions and green apple are tossed in a light apple cider vinaigrette and topped with generous heaps of dilly crème fraîche.



Photo by Crystal at zen-eats.com


By the way, I lost 10 pounds in the months I lived in Rennes...

No comments:

Post a Comment